Brooklyn furniture design studio, Coil + Drift, seeks a studio intern to begin June, 2015. This opportunity is open to graduate students, undergraduate seniors, and people who are interested working with one of Brooklyn’s most up-and-coming furniture designers. Woodworking skills are required for this internship.
Coil + Drift’s studio is located in Brooklyn, NY with an online retail store at www.coilanddrift.com. Intern will work at the Brooklyn studio (NYC-based candidates only). This internship will require roughly 20 hours of work per week.
Desirable applicants will have woodworking skills as well as strong organization skills. This internship will give you an inside look at the duties that are required to run a small design/build business. Daily tasks may include any of the following:
- Wood sourcing and selection
- Use of table saw, panel saw, jointer, router, planer, drill press, hand planers, sanders and more. If you do not know how to use a machine, we will teach you.
- Glue Ups
- Promotional layouts using InDesign and Photoshop
- Creating and updating Excel/Google Sheets to track expenses, sales, and other information
- Coordinating shipping & handling of items
- Strong work ethic and a belief in the work the Coil + Drift does.
- Extreme attention to detail
- In-depth organizational skills
- Woodworking Skills
- Working knowledge of Photoshop and InDesign
- Working knowledge of Excel/Google Sheets
- Knowledge of AutoCAD, Rhino, SketchUp, Keyshot a plus
- An organized and motivated individual who is willing to be flexible and approaches each new project with excitement and dedication.
Fabrication intern will receive limited access to Coil + Drift’s new state-of-the-art workshop. Intern will be able to use Coil + Drift’s space for personal projects when the space is available.
About Coil + Drift:
After creating custom furniture beginning in 2012, Coil + Drift presented its first collection at Bklyn Designs in May of 2014 and launched their online shop. Their work has since been featured in Dwell, Apartment Therapy, Design Sponge, Lonny Magazine, Vogue, Elle Decor, and Refinery 29 among other publications. This Spring Coil + Drift presented its new collection at the Architectural Digest Home Design Show in the curated MADE section, which received a very warm reception. Their current collection is on view to the public in the Soho showroom of French lighting studio Blackbody as part of Blackbody Co-op until November 2015.
Please email a resume, cover letter and contact information for one reference (a former employer or professor) to: email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
UPDATE: This position has been filled. Thank you to everyone who sent applications. We love receiving your information so please send us an email and we'll keep you on file until next time we are hiring.